Plant RNA extraction

Xu Huijun huijun at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Mon Nov 16 02:28:24 EST 1998

Hi, Rita,

I use the protocol of Logemann et al., which you can find in:

Logemann J., Schell J., and Willmitzer L. (1987) Improved Method for the
Isolation of RNA from Plant Tissues. Anal. Biochem. 163: 16 - 20

It uses a guanidinehydrochloride extraction buffer and phenol
extraction. It worked ok for me when I extracted total RNA from barley
roots and tissues. If you have troubles with phenol and can do with less
quantities you could also check out Quiagen's RNeasy kit.

Hope this helps,

Frank

maiwald at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de