coomassie vs silverstain

Peeter Toomik peeter.toomik at ut.ee
Mon Nov 16 05:41:29 EST 1998

Silver staining is most discriminative. If one stains a gel with
Commassie after silver staining,  several bands appear that were not
stained with silver at all (I have made this experiment several times).
For short review with references:
Practical Protein Chemistry. A Handbook. Ed. by A. Darbre (Wiley
Interscience Publication), or
R.K.Scopes, Protein Purification, (Springer)
I do not remember the references, but Coomassie G250 is probably less
discriminative than Coomassie R, and a less sensitive stain - Amido
Black - is also most indicriminative.

Peeter Toomik