Chilly Chloroform?

Richard P. Grant see_sig at
Thu Nov 19 04:59:50 EST 1998

We have a protocol which calls for 'pre-chilled' chloroform during a
(genomic) DNA extraction (the material for extraction is supposed to be at
'room temperature' after a 60C incubation).

I've never used CHCl3 cold - does anyone have any idea why one should??

(The method seems to work AOK with RT CHCl3 and the material placed on ice
for 5').

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at
Senior R&D Scientist          |             work:
Cambridge Molecular           |      home:
 -- 'Practising biochemistry without a licence' - E. Chargaff --