conversion of lambda ZAP library

mkbarnhart at uh.edu mkbarnhart at uh.edu
Tue Nov 17 11:03:01 EST 1998

In article <3651893D.711DA65F at pmtg.u-bordeaux2.fr>,
  denis.dupuy at pmtg.u-bordeaux2.fr wrote:

> --------------08405A212ABD22C431647507
>
> Does anybody have a suitable method to convert a Lambda ZAPII cDNA
> library in a pBluescript cDNA library in an all liquid way?
> Isn't  there a loss of complexity of the library during a conversion?
>
> All suggestions would be appreciated
>
> --
> DUPUY Denis
> Laboratoire de Pathologie Moléculaire
> et Thérapie Génique
> Universite V. Segalen, Bordeaux 2
> 146 rue Léo Saignat
> 33076 Bordeaux Cedex
> FRANCE
>
> Tel: (33) 557 57 10 10
>      Secrétariat 13 73, poste 6476 ou  6472
> Fax: (33) 556 98 33 48

Certainly you can do the conversion all liquid.  Instead of plating the cells
that were infected with helper phage, try growing them overnight in broth plus
ampicillin.  If you want, you can scale up appropriately and do a large scale
DNA prep to get a mixed population of plasmids.

I'm curious why you want to do this.  If you let the group know what you are
trying to accomplish, we might be able to help more.

On your complexity question, I'm not sure, but if I remember right you always
lose complexity when you amplify a library.  The conversion will probably do
the same thing.

Michael Barnhart
Laboratory Supervisor,
Connective Tissue Physiology Lab