Protein or peptide for Ab production?

Christian Fritze cfritze at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 24 11:45:19 EST 1998

Erkki:

I'll make a short contribution. Others will surely weigh in on the points I
don't address.

An antibody raised against the full-length protein or sub-domains will be
more generally useful. Your ability to predict which peptides will be (1)
antigenic, and (2) in functionally significant regions of the protein are
limited at this point. Also, polyclonal sera raised against a larger portion
of the protein are more likely to function in immunohistochemistry than an
anti-peptide antibody since the polyclonal sera will be active against a
range of epitopes, at least some of which will be accessible for staining.
And finally, once you learn more about the protein and desire
region-specific antibodies you can affinity purify this serum against
further sub-regions of the protein you immunized with.

Anti-peptide antibodies have the advantage of being cost/labor saving to
generate (no making expression vector, fooling with expression conditions,
purification, etc.) Furthermore, if a run through GenBank indicates that
much of this protein is highly similar to other proteins in your system,
judicious selection of a peptide sequence can give you a more specific
antibody than you would get by using a full-length immunogen. And finally,
there are times when it comes in handy to know which epitope is being
recognized by your antibody without having to do additional experiments.
--
Christian Fritze, Ph.D.
Director of Technology Transfer
christian at babco.com