Direct PCR from bird blood

Richard P. Grant see_sig at
Wed Nov 25 09:12:10 EST 1998

In article <73gufj$mje$1 at>, "Jurgen Sasse" <jsasse at>

> I have been trying to PCR directly from bird blood. It should be a lot
> easier than mammal blood since the RBCs are nucleated and a lot of DNA
> should be around, but I haven't had any luck so far.
> Does anybody have a good and reliable method for PCR from blood without
> prior DNA extraction? Please send any reply to my email address
> (jsasse at since I can't go into the newsgroup to see your reply at
> present!

Although I haven't done this, I would guess that if you're not removing
the rbc, then the haem will be inhibiting your PCR.  I'd suggest doing the

Email me if you want details of our kits - or to send us some blood to try here.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at
Senior R&D Scientist          |             work:
Cambridge Molecular           |      home:
           -- +44 1223 508345 - the Number of the Yeast --