Direct PCR from bird blood

Richard P. Grant see_sig at cmtech.co.delete.uk
Wed Nov 25 09:12:10 EST 1998

In article <73gufj$mje$1 at mserv2.dl.ac.uk>, "Jurgen Sasse" <jsasse at msn.com>
wrote:

> I have been trying to PCR directly from bird blood. It should be a lot
> easier than mammal blood since the RBCs are nucleated and a lot of DNA
> should be around, but I haven't had any luck so far.
>
> Does anybody have a good and reliable method for PCR from blood without
> prior DNA extraction? Please send any reply to my email address
> (jsasse at msn.com) since I can't go into the newsgroup to see your reply at
> present!

Although I haven't done this, I would guess that if you're not removing
the rbc, then the haem will be inhibiting your PCR.  I'd suggest doing the
purification.

Email me if you want details of our kits - or to send us some blood to try here.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
Senior R&D Scientist          |             work: www.cmtech.co.uk
Cambridge Molecular           |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
           -- +44 1223 508345 - the Number of the Yeast --