GFP localization ?

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at
Fri Nov 27 01:09:54 EST 1998

Hi all,

When transfecting 293HEK and NIH 3T3 MF-cells with GFP (humanized
S65T in pCDNA3) I noticed the brightest fluorescence in the nucleus,
while a (certain) fusion protein doesn't. Is there a reason for this?
Actually, I had expected that there was no fluorescence in the
nucleus since there's no nuclear import sequence. Am I wrong? Is
there resonance energy transfer from DNA to GFP?
The phenomenon occurs when using a Hg lamp with filters for FITC as
well as a 488nm argon laser and a confocal microscope.

Any ideas?

usual disclaimers apply * This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wgschech at * wwWait: