Using Shampoo for Blots?

Vladimir Svetlov svetlov at oncology.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 26 11:46:57 EST 1998

svetlov at oncology.wisc.edu (Vladimir Svetlov) wrote:
 > >In article <365C2285.6F105365 at rascal.med.harvard.edu>, Rupert Yip
 > ><yip at rascal.med.harvard.edu> wrote:
 > >
 > > : Has anyone tried the recently published method in Biotechniques about
 > > : doing Southern Blots with 0.4X shampoo (White Rain)?  I'm curious to
 > > : know whether this technique is reproducible and reliable.
 > >
 > >I don't see why would anybody sober would try that, but it surely makes a
> >great school science fair project...
> >

> I have that one clipped on the lab board... Along with laundry detergent for
> minipreps and Irish Cream for southerns.
>
>         I am working on a magic protocol that has caviar as an essential
> ingredient...

That's soooo yesterday, Dima...<G> Somebody in Protein Research Insitute in
the 80's was already working on isolation of ribosomes from sturgeon and
use of caviar as a source of mRNA. Much better idea than the one from the
same place about recycling (via cooking) a rabbit after it was bleed for
reticulocyte isolation... Apparently phenylhydrasine they inject rabbit to
boost the reticulocyte numbers gives the meat a rather nasty taste...
But the best gratuitous methods paper appeared recently not in this
clearing house of technological delinquency (aka Biotechniques) but in a
rather respectable Analytical Biochemistry. The main idea of it was that if
you ran out of the Qiagen resin you still can use the solutions from a
commercial kit to isolate plasmid DNA. I'm, like, "Duh". Was is not called
an alkaline lysis before? Anyway, I expect a flurry of similar discoveries
about other use of commercial kit leftovers. Myself I'm writing a
comprehensive review regarding the use of precast Novex, Owl and BioRad
PAGE gels months after the expiration date - this is gonna be huge! It will
forever change the way people read the "Use before ..." line.

Cheers,
V.

--
Vladimir Svetlov, PhD