Using Shampoo for Blots?

Vladimir Svetlov svetlov at
Thu Nov 26 11:46:57 EST 1998

svetlov at (Vladimir Svetlov) wrote:
 > >In article <365C2285.6F105365 at>, Rupert Yip
 > ><yip at> wrote:
 > >
 > > : Has anyone tried the recently published method in Biotechniques about
 > > : doing Southern Blots with 0.4X shampoo (White Rain)?  I'm curious to
 > > : know whether this technique is reproducible and reliable.
 > >
 > >I don't see why would anybody sober would try that, but it surely makes a
> >great school science fair project...
> >
> I have that one clipped on the lab board... Along with laundry detergent for
> minipreps and Irish Cream for southerns.
>         I am working on a magic protocol that has caviar as an essential
> ingredient...

That's soooo yesterday, Dima...<G> Somebody in Protein Research Insitute in
the 80's was already working on isolation of ribosomes from sturgeon and
use of caviar as a source of mRNA. Much better idea than the one from the
same place about recycling (via cooking) a rabbit after it was bleed for
reticulocyte isolation... Apparently phenylhydrasine they inject rabbit to
boost the reticulocyte numbers gives the meat a rather nasty taste...
But the best gratuitous methods paper appeared recently not in this
clearing house of technological delinquency (aka Biotechniques) but in a
rather respectable Analytical Biochemistry. The main idea of it was that if
you ran out of the Qiagen resin you still can use the solutions from a
commercial kit to isolate plasmid DNA. I'm, like, "Duh". Was is not called
an alkaline lysis before? Anyway, I expect a flurry of similar discoveries
about other use of commercial kit leftovers. Myself I'm writing a
comprehensive review regarding the use of precast Novex, Owl and BioRad
PAGE gels months after the expiration date - this is gonna be huge! It will
forever change the way people read the "Use before ..." line.

Vladimir Svetlov, PhD
McArdle Lab for Cancer Res.
1400 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53706