Using Shampoo for Blots?

Sean Patterson seanpat at FMED2.UNCU.EDU.AR
Thu Nov 26 12:43:15 EST 1998

>In article <73i7rt$n5m$2 at news.doit.wisc.edu>,
>klenchin at REMOVE_TO_REPLY.facstaff.wisc.edu (Dima Klenchin) wrote:
>
> > In article <svetlov-ya02408000R2511981546430001 at news.doit.wisc.edu>,
>svetlov at oncology.wisc.edu (Vladimir Svetlov) wrote:
> > >In article <365C2285.6F105365 at rascal.med.harvard.edu>, Rupert Yip
> > ><yip at rascal.med.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > : Has anyone tried the recently published method in Biotechniques about
> > > : doing Southern Blots with 0.4X shampoo (White Rain)?  I'm curious to
> > > : know whether this technique is reproducible and reliable.
> > >
> > >I don't see why would anybody sober would try that, but it surely makes a
>> >great school science fair project...
>> >

>> I have that one clipped on the lab board... Along with laundry detergent
>>for
>> minipreps and Irish Cream for southerns.
>>
>>         I am working on a magic protocol that has caviar as an essential
>> ingredient...
>
>That's soooo yesterday, Dima...<G> Somebody in Protein Research Insitute in
>the 80's was already working on isolation of ribosomes from sturgeon and
>use of caviar as a source of mRNA. Much better idea than the one from the
>same place about recycling (via cooking) a rabbit after it was bleed for
>reticulocyte isolation... Apparently phenylhydrasine they inject rabbit to
>boost the reticulocyte numbers gives the meat a rather nasty taste...
>But the best gratuitous methods paper appeared recently not in this
>clearing house of technological delinquency (aka Biotechniques) but in a
>rather respectable Analytical Biochemistry. The main idea of it was that if
>you ran out of the Qiagen resin you still can use the solutions from a
>commercial kit to isolate plasmid DNA. I'm, like, "Duh". Was is not called
>an alkaline lysis before? Anyway, I expect a flurry of similar discoveries
>about other use of commercial kit leftovers. Myself I'm writing a
>comprehensive review regarding the use of precast Novex, Owl and BioRad
>PAGE gels months after the expiration date - this is gonna be huge! It will
>forever change the way people read the "Use before ..." line.
>
>Cheers,
>V.

	I seem to recall stories about the original electrophysiology work
done on  squid giant axon leading to enjoyment of the consequent calamares.
As a warning, however, there were reports that those lucky few who arranged
to work on lobster giant axon actually developed an allergy due to
overindulgence....

Sean Patterson, Ph.D.
Cátedra de Fisiología, CC33
Facultad de Ciencias Médicas