Using Shampoo for Blots?

Csaba Jeney jencsa at xenia.sote.hu
Thu Nov 26 13:20:31 EST 1998

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 10:46:57 -0600, svetlov at oncology.wisc.edu
(Vladimir Svetlov) wrote:

>In article <73i7rt$n5m$2 at news.doit.wisc.edu>,
>klenchin at REMOVE_TO_REPLY.facstaff.wisc.edu (Dima Klenchin) wrote:
>
> > In article <svetlov-ya02408000R2511981546430001 at news.doit.wisc.edu>,
>svetlov at oncology.wisc.edu (Vladimir Svetlov) wrote:
> > >In article <365C2285.6F105365 at rascal.med.harvard.edu>, Rupert Yip
> > ><yip at rascal.med.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > : Has anyone tried the recently published method in Biotechniques about
> > > : doing Southern Blots with 0.4X shampoo (White Rain)?  I'm curious to
> > > : know whether this technique is reproducible and reliable.
> > >
> > >I don't see why would anybody sober would try that, but it surely makes a
>> >great school science fair project...
>> >

>> I have that one clipped on the lab board... Along with laundry detergent for
>> minipreps and Irish Cream for southerns.
>>
>>         I am working on a magic protocol that has caviar as an essential
>> ingredient...
>
>That's soooo yesterday, Dima...<G> Somebody in Protein Research Insitute in
>the 80's was already working on isolation of ribosomes from sturgeon and
>use of caviar as a source of mRNA. Much better idea than the one from the
>same place about recycling (via cooking) a rabbit after it was bleed for
>reticulocyte isolation... Apparently phenylhydrasine they inject rabbit to
>boost the reticulocyte numbers gives the meat a rather nasty taste...
>But the best gratuitous methods paper appeared recently not in this
>clearing house of technological delinquency (aka Biotechniques) but in a
>rather respectable Analytical Biochemistry. The main idea of it was that if
>you ran out of the Qiagen resin you still can use the solutions from a
>commercial kit to isolate plasmid DNA. I'm, like, "Duh". Was is not called
>an alkaline lysis before? Anyway, I expect a flurry of similar discoveries
>about other use of commercial kit leftovers. Myself I'm writing a
>comprehensive review regarding the use of precast Novex, Owl and BioRad
>PAGE gels months after the expiration date - this is gonna be huge! It will
>forever change the way people read the "Use before ..." line.

If I add the Pharmacia brand to the list, could I be a coauthor in
your paper?
Otherwise in the near past Techical Tips OnLine have published a
milestone paper about the Ultra Fast Alkaline Lysis (UFX,
abbreviations are always at hand)....the whole paper is bound to the
statement: the prepared solutions is the way. They discovered the kit.

Csaba Jeney