Gels keep cracking

S. McKay S.Mckay at sct.gu.edu.au
Fri Nov 27 19:05:55 EST 1998

Hi,

        I've been having some problems drying mini-gels.  I'm using 14%
SDS-PAG to separate my protein (which is 35S-labelled).  Following this I
have been fixing the gels in 7% Acetic Acid for 20', rinsing in dH2O and
then an amplification step using 0.5M Salicylic Acid for 20'.  The gels are
then dried onto Whatmans 3mm Chromatography Paper under vaccum and heat on
a BioRad Gel Slab Dryer for 1.5hrs.  Less time than this and the centre of
the gels do not dry.  Unfortunately, I've been experiencing severe cracking
problems with the gels which is obviously unacceptable.

        I am aware that the salicylic acid will remove much of the moisture
from the gel but 1.5hrs seems a long time.

        I've also tried  using the 0.5M Salicylic Acid combined with 2%
glycerol but this makes no difference and if anything the cracking is
worse.

        This has become a very frustrating problem and any suggestions you
could make would be very much appreciated.

S.McKay