Gels keep cracking

Peter pxpst2 at unixs.cis.pitt.edu
Sat Nov 28 12:54:12 EST 1998

I routinely dry my 14% gels with about a 10% cracking frequency.  My
samples use I125 as the label source.  I do not fix the gels and I do not
use glycerol.  But if you can get rid of the fixing step and dry the gel
immediately following the run you may have more success.  The required
amplification may not be needed if you look for a "specialty film that is
more tuned toward S35.
  I dry my gels with a uniform heting of the gels for 2 hrs @ 80 C under a
vacuum. Be careful not to strech the gel when laying it down on the filter
paper. I usually lay the gel on the filter paper from the bottom to the
top of the gel because the remenant stacker layer is really sticky and can
cause the gel to elongate at the corners.
Hope this helps
Peter

In article <v01510100630b6350aaa4@[132.234.31.46]>, S.Mckay at sct.gu.edu.au