Gels keep cracking

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Mon Nov 30 00:25:48 EST 1998

In article <v01510100630b6350aaa4@[132.234.31.46]>,
S. McKay <S.Mckay at sct.gu.edu.au> wrote:

>the gels do not dry.  Unfortunately, I've been experiencing severe cracking
>problems with the gels which is obviously unacceptable.

Make sure the gel dryer vaccuum is good.  House vacuum and tap vaccumm
will often dry low-concentration gels but may not be not adequate for
high-concentration.  If you use a vaccuum pump, be sure it's working
properly.

You might also, or instead, try a high-tensile-strength acrylamide.  We
use Duracryl, which we started using when we had precisely the same
problem; we have only had one or two gels crack in the two-three years
since we started using Duracryl, and those were due to flagrant gel abuse
that would get you arrested in seventeen states.

Ian