Gels keep cracking

theodorn at medlib.georgetown.edu theodorn at medlib.georgetown.edu
Mon Nov 30 16:20:46 EST 1998

In article <pxpst2-3011981308270001 at pelli.pathology.pitt.edu>,
  pxpst2 at unixs.cis.pitt.edu (Peter) wrote:
> In article <73ui0k$eer$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> theodorn at medlib.georgetown.edu wrote:
>
> > It's funny, but when I used to do a lot of metabolic labelling experiments, I
> > used good old PPO/DMSO, which seems to be out of fashion these days, but I
> > never had a gel break on the dryer (even 15% gels). They seem pretty tough
> > after the PPO is precipitated into the gel; you can pretty much throw them
> > around.
>
> But there is a good reason why this techinique has lost favor.  The
> chemicals are rather nasty.
>
> Peter Pediaditakis
>
> --
> Peter
>
> " Don't you eat that yellow snow
>          Watch out where the huskies go"
>                                          FZ

Well, I hate to start another thread like the one we had on the toxicity of
acrylamide, but... is it really true? I have often heard that PPO is supposed
to be nasty, but without any supportive evidence. OTOH, consider this MSDS
data..

(from http://www.packardinst.com/msds/msds139.htm)

                       OMNIFLUOR®

	                   1. Identification of the Substance/Preparation and of the
						   Company

                       Company Name:
                       Packard BioScience B.V.
                       Chemical Operations
                       P.O. Box 9403
                       9703 LP Groningen
                       The Netherlands
                       Tel: (31) 50-5413360
                       Fax: (31) 50-5422292

                       Emergency Telephone: (31) 50-5413360

                       Chemical Family: Mixture of aryloxazole and aromatic
					   hydrocarbon

2. Composition/Information on Ingredients

Material                                   CAS Number   Concentration

2,5-Diphenyloxazole (PPO)                  92-71-7       97-99%

p-Bis-(o-methylstyryl)-benzene (bis-MSB)   13280-61-0     1-3%

                       3. Hazards Identification

                       Symbol -

                       Special Risk for People and the Environment
                       None
                       ^^^^

                       HMIS Hazard Code Ratings

                       Health				 1