EtBr/CsCl:strange color change - help???

Ned Mantei mantei at
Fri Oct 2 10:29:43 EST 1998

In article <3612075D.9DC67013 at>, Patrick
<patrick.johner at> wrote:

> Hi all.
> A request from first-time user of CsCl/EtBr for plant DNA purification:
> Upon addition of ethidium bromide to my phenol/chloroform purified
> Plant-DNA solution in CsCl, I observe a change of color from normal
> orange-red to light cherry red.

Could it be that you have some organic solvent in your preparation
(remnants of phenol, or, if you precipitated the DNA, of alcohol? These
can give strange colors with ethidium bromide.

Ned Mantei
Dept. of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland