Stability of Triton X100?

is.bbsrc.ac.uk majones at abdn.ac.uk
Fri Oct 9 10:34:25 EST 1998

Harold J. Drabkin <hdrabkin at user1.channel1.com> wrote in article
<360a5c08.2214795 at news1.channel1.com>...
> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:43:44 +0100, noone at bham.ac.uk (akgfc,a) wrote:
>

> >I'm not shure about 80 degrees, but I know that you shouldn't autoclave
> >Triton as the molecule hydrolyses.
> If there a reference for this?  I don't think I've heard of this
> before.  I remember in grad school a long long time ago that we
> routinely autoclaved tx-100 solutions.  I seem to remember that the
> hot solution appeared to have a precipitate, but it went away when the
> solution was cooled.

The reason that the Triton X-100 APPEARS to precipitate is because
above its critical micellar temperature  above which the the micellar
molecular wieght increases to a point where it the solution appears turbid.

The CMC of Triton (r) X-100 is ca. 0.2 x 10-3 mol/l (25oC)

Therefore at about 64 oC  a solution of T-X100 will suddenly go turbid.

I think references for this are;
 Corti M and Degiorgio V. (1975) Optics commun. 14:358-362
 Maclay W.N. (1956) J. Colloid Sci 11:272-285.
I have not seen these references and may be wrong on this point.

Dr Michael A. Jones
I.A.H. (Institute for Animal Health)
Compton
UK.

Triton X is a trade name of Rohm and Haas, Philadelphia, USA.