His-tagged proteins with less than six His

Per Mygind perm at medmicro.aau.dk
Fri Oct 9 04:40:14 EST 1998

Georg Wille wrote:

> Dear Bionetters,
>
> I'm about to attach an His-tag to the N-Terminus of a protein. Has anyone
> ever heard of using _less_ than six residues successfully. I would like to
> use as few as possible in order not to distort the enzymatic properties of
> the protein too much and shifting its pI as little as possible.
>
> The protein is a dimer and its N-termini are fairly close together, so maybe
> three His at each N-Terminus are maybe almost as good as six.
>
> Any experience? I would appreciate suggestions! Or maybe a reference to read
> about this method.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
>      Georg

I have no reference for this, but I can remember, that only two histidines are
needed for nondenaturing purification
using Ni-chelate material. Contact me if you need a reference. Bear in mind,
that the affinity decreases, so that you might get an increase in contaminating
proteins.

Good luck

Per Mygind

If you are are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate

Per Mygind, Cand.scient

Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology
The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, Denmark
phone : 89 42 17 47, fax   : 86 19 61 28

It's hard work and great art to make life not so serious