DNA-isolation from 65 000 blood samples

Patrick F.H. Lai the Graduate Student pfhlai at LOOKSMART.COM
Tue Oct 13 23:12:40 EST 1998

---- Begin Original Message ----

Ketil Thorstensen <ketilt at dmf.unit.no> wrote:

: I am planning to isolate DNA from 65 000 blod samples. The samples are frozen.
: About half of them are anticoagulated with EDTA whereas the other are clotted.
: The volume of blood is about 5 ml and I intend to use all of it for islation
: of DNA.

: Has anyone performed DNA-isolation from such a large number of samples? How
: did you do it effectively?

: Is there any efficient way to dissolve the blood clots and still be able to
: isolate the DNA?

: I would appreciate all suggestions and ideas on how to handle this.

: Thank you very much.

: Sincerely,
: Ketil Thorstensen (Ph.D.)

---- End Original Message ----

Dear Dr. Ketil Thorstensen,

I am not too sure if this is what you have in mind, but take a look anyways:

Hope this is useful info.   :-)

Patrick F.H. Lai  < PFHLai at looksmart.com >
Graduate Student
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

P.S.  I am merely a GradStudent.
One should take a HUGE grain of salt with whatever I have typed above.
Good Luck.   :-)

LookSmart … or keep looking.