Help on Prokayrotic Protein Expression

Per Mygind perm at
Wed Oct 14 07:19:04 EST 1998

AKi Hoji wrote:

> Hi All,
> I cloned the cDNA encoding 40kd protein in pET23a, and have tried to
> produce this protein in BL21(DE3) upon IPTG induction, which should
> accumulate in inclusion bodies (for refolding purpose later).  However, I
> have been getting very little expression (compared to my positive control)
> even for 3-4 hrs induction at 0.4mM IPTG.  This protein is  reported to be
> non-toxic to bacteria, and in fact they appear to look fine after
> induction.  I appreciate any suggestions at this point.  Thanks in
> advance.
> --
> Aki Hoji (akhst7+ at
> Dept. Infectious Diseases & Microbiology
> University of Pittsburgh

Try another strain, e.g. Bl21-DE3-pLysS

Per Mygind

If you are are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate

Per Mygind, Cand.scient

Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology
The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, Denmark
phone : 89 42 17 47, fax   : 86 19 61 28

It's hard work and great art to make life not so serious