Aptamers

Geoffrey Kidd gkidd at aptagen.com
Thu Oct 15 18:16:34 EST 1998

An RNA aptamer is an RNA molecule that has some kind of binding activity to
some target molecule.  As more is learned about RNA folding, it may become more
predictable, possibly to the point at which we will be able to design specific
RNA aptamers for a given target.  Currently the practice is to generate a huge
pool of random sequences and see which ones bind the best.  These are then
further screened, or modified and then screened, to eventually arrive at one or
a few with excellent binding affinity.

Geoffrey Kidd, Ph.D.
Technical Services Manager
Aptagen, Inc.]