DNA and autoclaving

Richard P. Grant see_sig at cmtech.co.delete.uk
Wed Oct 21 04:47:00 EST 1998

In article <362DA56E.17FF at sheffield.ac.uk>, R U Gianfrancesco
<BOP95RUG at sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:

: I'm using DNA as a food source to fungi.  I have autoclaved my salmon
: sperm DNA but do not know the effect of autoclaving.  Does anyone know?
: Such as single/double strand, bonding, strand size?  thanks.

Let's put it this way - if you autoclave genomic DNA you can still do PCR
from it.  It's tough stuff.  There is no reason - aside from mechanical
stress - that  you should get strand breakage.  I guess that a/c will
separate the strands, but they will renature as it cools.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
Senior R&D Scientist          |             work: www.cmtech.co.uk
Cambridge Molecular           |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
 -- 'Practising biochemistry without a licence' - E. Chargaff --