Gel box wire

Victor Levenson levenson at uic.edu
Thu Oct 22 14:27:12 EST 1998

"JM Warawa, Department of Pathology & Microbiology"
<J.Warawa at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

>Does anyone have any suggestions on a cheep alternative to
>platinum for a gel box wire?  Does nickle-chromium work or
>will I be changing the wire after every run?
>
>Thanks,
>   Jon
>
>----------------------
>JM Warawa, Department of Pathology & Microbiology
>University of Brisol
>J.Warawa at bristol.ac.uk

Jon,

Ni-Cr will work just fine for (-) electrode since only cations are
discharged here; actually, even stainless steel will be good. The (+)
electrode is quite another story since OH- are discharged here and
that involves atomic O, which is a VERY powerful oxidant. Frankly, I
do not know of any good substitute for Pt wire...

In any case, Stainless steel for (-) electrode will cut the costs
almost in half...

Hope that helps,

Victor Levenson MD/PhD
Res Asst Prof
UIC, Dept of Genetics M/C 669
900 S Ashland Ave                   The one who wants finds HOW
Chicago IL 60607                    The one who doesn't finds WHY
levenson at uic.edu
312-413-3887
312-413-3128 FAX