WANTED: OPINIONS ABOUT THE UTILITY OF A 2D GEL DATABASE FOR PROTEIN

Rork D. Kuick rork at umich.edu
Thu Oct 22 11:16:42 EST 1998

For protein maps of mouse you can try looking around in
http://expasy.hcuge.ch/cgi-bin/map1  (Hochstrasser's lab),
and see their page
http://expasy.hcuge.ch/ch2d/2d-index.html
for other pointers.   - good luck.

I'm only the nerd here (not the chemist) but think copurification
was performed and the stuff run on 2D, but depending on how solubilized
we may not expect the copurified molecules to come out in any particular
pattern such as the same 1D-size (eg 9M urea will blow them apart).
Milder solubilization tricks may keep them together during 1D though.
I think we would usually check what got purified on 1D gels first though,
only going to 2D to try to ID spots via co-localization (by spiking back
into a more complex mixture).
  - Hope someone better responds on that score (I know someone better -
    email me if you want their address).