rule of thumb for SDS-PAGE separation of small proteins?

Pete pkursula at cc.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 28 09:02:37 EST 1998

Sometimes this helps: Prepare the samples as usual, i.e. add Laemmli
buffer
or whatever you use, but leave out the SDS from the gel while preparing
it. Include SDS in the running buffer however. I have seen some appr.
10-kDa proteins that differ by 2 amino acids separate quite well under
these conditions. The gel % around 15-20...

A 10 % gel has a lower resolution limit around 30 kDa, bad idea I
think.

How about a native gel? That works for the same proteins mentioned above.
Just leave out all SDS and be sure that your native proteins move in the
correct direction :) (check the pI)

Petri.Kursula at oulu.fi

http://cc.oulu.fi/~pkursula

"I am somehow less interested in the weight and
convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near
certainty that people of equal talent have lived
and died in cotton fields and sweatshops."
-- Stephen Jay Gould