GFP fluorescence- mounting soln

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Oct 28 05:33:29 EST 1998

Hello Nacha,

Normally we're using something called "Permafluor". But it seems to
me that it quenches GFP quite much, too. At least I can see strongly
fluorescent cells and run lots of sections with the confocal without
getting too much blecahing.
For short observations I'd recommend PBS/glycerol with or without 5%
n-propylgallate (as antifade).
You might know that acetone or methanol are killing GFP fluorescence.
So either 3,7% formaldehyde for 10 min or even nothing (you have to
view your cells immediately then) are suitable.

Good luck and happy GFPing!

Wolfgang

> I would like to know what kind of mounting solution could be used for
> Immuno fluorescence of mammalian cells with GFP fusion proteins.
>
> If any one has used the Biorad Fluouroguard or Vecta shield, could you
> please give me feedback on the background level etc. I seem to have
> problem with the biorad fluoroguard soln.
>
> Thank you
> Nacha

-----
usual disclaimers apply * This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de * wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm