Protein Electrophoresis

marc abrams abramsm at erols.com
Wed Sep 2 18:23:52 EST 1998

    I have been using a high-percentage acrylamide SDS-PAGE system to
resolve a 25kd protein and its modified form.  A post-translational
modification causes a conformational change which creates a "shifted"
species of the protein in Western blot experiments.  I would like to try
different gel systems to see if I can better resolve these two species of
the protein (increase the migration distance difference) so that the result
is unambiguous.
Does anyone know of gel systems that have been used to
separate subtle difference in a protein based on conformation?
I tried Tris-Tricine and Bis-Tris gels as well, with no success.
Thanks in advance!!!!!
-Marc