Northern help needed

Renee Tobias renee_tobias at berlex.com
Fri Sep 4 18:38:58 EST 1998

Help me please!

I have 2 duplicate RNA preps, isolated by 2 different methods, run side by
side on a Northern gel.  After blotting and hybridizing with a cDNA probe,
one sample shows a strong positive signal and the other does not!  I have
seen this more than once.  RNA is intact, evenly loaded, equally
transferred, etc. Both samples were made from the same original cell line
under duplicate conditions.

Is it possible that the method of extracting the RNA can alter results of
Northern analysis?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you!

- R. Tobias