mercaptoethanol induced ghost band in western-blotting with rabbit antisera

Ulrike Böer uboeer at gwdg.de
Mon Sep 7 04:44:32 EST 1998

Question

Our group is working about G-protein coupled prostaglandin rceptors and
our aim is to detect receptor proteins by western-blotting using
polyclonal rabbit antisera against the receptors. Unfortunatly, if we
reduce our protein samples to denaturate the receptors we see a very
prominant band with a molecular weight around 67 kd after treatment of
our blots with rabbit antisera wich is not vissible if we do not reduce
our samples.
I would like to ask if someone have also observed this phenomenon and
have overcome this problem?
Thank you very much.
--
Dr. Frank Neuschaefer-Rube