gel filtration

Dima Klenchin klenchin at
Mon Sep 7 10:28:58 EST 1998

In article <35F260B4.5828 at>, Ina Hinners <hinners at> wrote:
>Hi netters,
>I have a problem wich is quiet embarassing: I managed to run a
>gelfiltration column (Sephacryl S-1000) dry! I collected the material
>and now  I am wondering if I can reuse the material to pack the column
>or is it irreversible destroyed?
>Thanks in advance, Ina

Unlike Sepharoses, Sephacryl is somewhat more resistant to drying.
By rehydrating, you can get usable column (say, if it is crude preparative
separation). However, there is no doubt that there is some irreversible
damage to the matrix and that such column will not be appropriate for
demanding applications . Personally, I would throw it away and pack
a new column regardless.

        - Dima