Phenol extraction/proteins/western

Peter pxpst2 at
Wed Sep 9 08:59:52 EST 1998

In article <peeters-0909980951380001 at>,
peeters at (Nemo Peeters) wrote:

> Hi,
> Can i use proteins that are at the interface of a phenol/chlorophorm
> nucleic acid extraction to do some western blots ?. I have no idea how to
> recover them, did some of you try this kind of experiment ?

It is not uncommon to see the proteins at the interface.  If you remove
the chloroform, you will then be able to extract the phenol by diethyl
ether.  A small phase should form that is the water and the proteins. this
can be lyophilized.

Peter Pediaditakis

"Don't you eat that yellow snow
            watch out where the Huskies go"    FZ