Question re DNA stability

jors at jors at
Wed Sep 16 10:18:55 EST 1998

In article <6tlkhd$3b8 at>,
> Hello fellow scientists,
> I have a very perplexing problem and would be grateful for any
> assistance/advice you can offer me.
> I generate a 265 bp DNA fragment from the lac Z gene by PCR using a
> plasmid as my source of template DNA.

Hi Raymond,

If you check Biotechniques from last Feb/March or there about, there is an
article explaining what you are seeing. Your tracking dye is causing the DNA
to denature, this effect is abolished by a number of chemicals including
EDTA. The article is a very thourough investigation of this observation, and
as the authors say, it is amazing that nobody reported it earlier!

All the best,