quantification of plant DNA

Diana Wolf dewolf at bio.indiana.edu
Fri Sep 18 13:10:36 EST 1998

We use a florometer rather than a spec to measure DNA concentration, but
doesn't the spec detect RNA as well as DNA? (I think the 260/280 ratio
just tells you if there is protein contamination, right?).  The Ethidium
bromide shouldn't stain RNA very efficiently.  Also, I thought that you
couldn't measure DNA amount very accurately on a gel - you just eyeball
the bands and compare the brightness to other bands?
You might get a more accurate reading of DNA concentration with a florometer.
Diana

--
Biology Dept
Indiana University