Immunomagnetic panning...

Nick Vercammen dvcammen at allserv.rug.ac.be
Sat Sep 19 03:26:20 EST 1998

Hi,

As I am setting up a new project, I was wondering if the following method
could be successful for isolating the cDNA of a particular plasma membrane
protein.
1. Transfect the complete cDNA bank in an appropriate acceptor cel
2. After a couple of days, coincubate the cell population with magnetic
beads coated with an antibody against the protein and isolate adhering cells
3. Perform a Hirt-extraction on the isolated cells
4. Amplify the plasmid DNA in coli and transfect individual clones, using
binding of the antibody as a screening method (maybe after a second or third
"panning" round).

Does anyone know if this has been applied with success in the past, and if
there's any snag in this method?

Many thanks,

Nick