PCR from blood

John Ladasky jladasky at pmgm.Stanford.EDU
Mon Sep 21 18:33:35 EST 1998

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.980918111106.30177B-100000 at leofric>,
S. Patel <apy019 at coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

>Dear all
>
>I have been extracting DNA  from clinical blood samples collected using
>vacutec tubes. I have been experiencing some problems with inhibition in
>PCR. Does anyone have any advise on DNA extraction from blood ie to
>remove inhibition or to improve DNA recovery. Any comments would be most
>helpful.

	I seem to recall that Ernest Beutler's lab discovered that
heparin inhibits PCR.  I've been getting all of my blood samples drawn
into tubes containing EDTA, rather than heparin, for this reason.
Standard DNA isolation protocols give PCR-capable DNA from blood samples
containing EDTA anticoagulant.

--
Rainforest laid low.
"Wake up and smell the ozone,"