subcellular fractionation without ultracentrifuge?

Kenneth Maas z910940 at oats.farm.niu.edu
Thu Sep 24 15:39:24 EST 1998

There is a chemical called Percoll (I can't remember who sells it--Pharmacia?).
Percoll forma a gradient as your sample is being centrifuged so that dense
particles migrate farther through the gradient than lighter molecules.  The
centrifugation speed needs to be at about 30,000 to 40,000g's for about 30
minutes to get efficient separation.  If enzymatic assays or protein assays are
to be performed afterwords, the percoll must be removed (a drawback of using
percoll).
Good Luck, Ken Maas