? Should the name of RE be italics ?

Ned Mantei mantei at cell.biol.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 24 07:48:48 EST 1998

In article <dYVv3BA6hoA2EwCP at genesys.demon.co.uk>, "Dr. Duncan Clark"
<duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <6tti59$kdh$1 at scotsman.ed.ac.uk>, Chris Boyd
> <chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk> writes
> > > Should the name of restriction endonuclease typed in italic?
>
> There is an international convention for naming and writing RE's,
> published many many years ago. I used to have a copy but it isn't to be
> seen. A literature search would throw it up or may Chris Boyd knows as
> we both date from then!! Alternatively someone at NEB could tell you.

The reference is:
Smith HO, Nathans D, J Mol Biol 1973 Dec 15;81(3):419-423
Letter: A suggested nomenclature for bacterial host modification and
restriction systems and their enzymes.

(I also date from that era--I prepared my first restriction enzyme in
about 1970 or 1971.)

--
Ned Mantei
Dept. of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology