Microplate cell growth problem

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Sep 25 04:02:46 EST 1998

Hi all,

I observed some strange behavior of my cells (3T3 mouse fibroblasts)
when grown in 96-well flat bottomed microplates:

I measured cell growth by BrdU uptake and noticed that cells grow
better in the wells located at the outer side of the plate.

Is this common? What to do against it?

Details:
Incubating with different drugs, I made all conditions quadruplicate
(column 1 to 4 and 5 to 8). When I connect the plotted data from the
same rows (A to H resp. 1 to 12 ), I get somewhat parallel curves.
This is resulting in high scatter of the mean values for each
condition. (That's how I got the idea of this "location dependent cell
growth"). Is there a way to catch this problem by mathematics without
selecting (how?) suitable plates (since not all seem to exhibit this
behavior) *after* having run the experiment?

I have performed some growth assays where I had the same conditions
for the whole microplate. The results support my hypothesis of this
coordinate dependent growth phenomenon.

Any ideas, suggestions hints and stories?

Thanks for all input

Wolfgang

-----
usual disclaimers apply * This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de * wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm