Pfu polymerase

Chris Fields cjfields at
Mon Aug 2 11:03:12 EST 1999

"Chong Wai Yin( Zhang Weixian)" wrote:
> Hi! Can anyone tell me when I will need to use Pfu instead of Taq polymerase
> during PCR? Also what makes a good polymerase when running PCR especially
> when I'm working on developing a PCR-based Rapid diagnostic Kit?? Thank you
> very much.
> Kelvin Chong
> Singapore

I use Pfu only when I'm interested in cloning the fragment.  Pfu has one
of the best proofreading capabilities, but it gives a slower elongation
rate (500 bp/min).  If you are using PCR for diagnostic purposes only, I
would use something else with a much faster rate.

C. J. Fields
Graduate Student, Dept. of Biological Sciences
The University of North Texas
Denton, TX