RNA from abattoir tissue samples

CSC un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Aug 3 07:27:46 EST 1999

On 3 Aug 1999, Andrew G. wrote:

> Hi
> I am wanting to analyse RNA from cattle eyes collected from a local
> slaughterhouse. I am concerned that this abattoir sourced material will be
> highly contaminated with RNases etc from the abattoir environment and this
> will cause problems.
>
> I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has sourced RNA from
> abattoir tissues. How did you collect, handle and transport the tissue
> samples to minimise RNase contamination? Did you get good yields of RNA
> from your tissues?

ANY tissue is full with RNAses. As soon as a cell is opened or starts
dying, RNAses will flood out. In that sense, the slaughterhouse itself is
negigible as a source for RNAses. The tissues that you will collect there
will become necrotic after removal (f.i. because they do not receive blood
anymore): they will start damaging their own RNA. It is also senseless to
wear gloves when preparing tissues "because the RNAses on your hands might
damage the tissue RNA" ! (I would wear them anyway... but to protect
myself against foreign blood).

I have collected lots of tissues from slaughterhouses, generally stored
them on ice for the drive back (up to two hours) then quickly dissect them
and freeze the tissues in liquid N2 and then at -70. The slaughterhouse
itself is negigible as a source for RNAses. The tissue that you will
collect there will kill its own RNA.

Kind regards,

Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD

* For HUSAR, W2H & GCG visit:          http://genome.dkfz-heidelberg.de *
* German             German Cancer Research Center DKFZ        European *
* EMBnet             Dept. Molecular Biophysics (H0200)            Data *
* node               INF 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany        Resource *
* - Genius -          phone ++49 6221-4223-42 fax -33           - EDR - *