RNA from abattoir tissue samples

Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com
Tue Aug 3 10:00:44 EST 1999

Bill A Nussbaumer at BDX
08/03/99 09:45 AM

Perhaps you could try RNAlater tissure storage solution from Ambion.  (No
affiliation)  Check it out at www.ambion.com

I blatantly ripped the following from their webpage, I hope they don't mind.
:-)

____________________________________

RNAlater: (patent pending) is an aqueous, non-toxic tissue storage reagent that
stabilizes and protects cellular RNA in
intact, unfrozen tissue samples. RNAlater eliminates the need to immediately
process tissue samples or to freeze samples
in liquid nitrogen for later processing. Tissue pieces can be harvested and
submerged in RNAlater for storage without
jeopardizing the quality or quantity of RNA obtained after subsequent RNA
isolation.

Bill Nussbaumer

On 3 Aug 1999, Andrew G. wrote:

> Hi
> I am wanting to analyse RNA from cattle eyes collected from a local
> slaughterhouse. I am concerned that this abattoir sourced material will be
> highly contaminated with RNases etc from the abattoir environment and this
> will cause problems.
>
> I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has sourced RNA from
> abattoir tissues. How did you collect, handle and transport the tissue
> samples to minimise RNase contamination? Did you get good yields of RNA
> from your tissues?

ANY tissue is full with RNAses. As soon as a cell is opened or starts
dying, RNAses will flood out. In that sense, the slaughterhouse itself is
negigible as a source for RNAses. The tissues that you will collect there
will become necrotic after removal

<snip>