MTT vs.3H Thymidine

Frederick Coffman fcsc at interactive.net
Wed Aug 4 18:29:28 EST 1999

If you are interested in measuring DNA synthesis, incorporation of thymidine
is a direct measurement of that property.  The MTT assay is more an assay of
living vs. dead cells; more specifically it is an assay of cells with
functional mitochondria.  The yellow MTT substrate diffuses into the cells
and is reduced to a purple formazan product by mitochondrial dehydrogenases,
thus the amount of purple color in a well (of a 96 well plate) is directly
proportional to the number of living cells with functioning mitochondria.
There are some caveats - cells undergoing apoptosis can show reduced
mitochondrial function hours before they would be classified as dead using
other assays, and in some conditions (like giving very low concentrations of
TNF to some tumor cell lines) cells show enhanced mitochondrial function wrt
this assay, but in general the MTT assay is a fairly reliable way to measure
cell death.

But if you're interested in DNA synthesis, by all means measure it directly.

In article <37a5be05.2333583 at news.mcgill.ca>, skim7 at po-box.mcgill.ca