Multiplicity of retrovirus infection and integration?

Howard Davis hdavis at mit.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:49:31 EST 1999

Paul,
  Our group has looked at the effect of MOI on retrovirus transduction.
More than one integrative event per cell can definitely occur, however,
the maximum number of events is a function of the initial active
retrovirus concentration and the number of target cells. As retroviruses
decay (half life ~7 hrs for murine leukemia viruses), the "million"
viruses don't all have the opportunity to infect the "one" target cell
before they are inactivated. Two papers you might want to take a look
at:

Morgan et al., "Retrovirus infection: effect of time and target cell
number."
J Virol. 1995 Nov;69(11):6994-7000.

LeDoux et al., "Kinetics of retrovirus production and decay."
Biotechnol Bioeng. 1999 Jun 20;63(6):654-62.

I'd be happy to provide you with additional info, so feel free to drop
me an e-mail. Hope this helps!

Regards,
  -Howard