ATP

Frank R. Gorga fgorga at bridgew.edu
Fri Aug 6 08:27:32 EST 1999

Chris Boyd wrote in message <7oe9tu$5mm$2 at scotsman.ed.ac.uk>...
>Cornelius Krasel (krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de) wrote:
>: Fi <fball at dtp1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>: > Does anyone know the molc weight of ATP, having trouble finding it.
>
>: Most catalogues will contain it (Sigma being an exception). Otherwise,
>
>Sigma is not an exception, but perversely it uses FW for formula
>weight. Disodium ATP is given as 551.1, free acid as 507.2.

Sigma is *not* being perverse, but accurate... since disodium ATP is an
ionic compound Na+ ATP2- the correct usage is formula weight not molecular
weight.

Things we learn in first year chemistry... but soon forget! ;-)

--- Frank

Frank R. Gorga, Ph.D.
Dept. of Chemical Sciences
Bridgewater State College