Evolutionary relationships between genes

Arthur Wohlwill U55850 at uic.edu
Sat Aug 7 21:07:53 EST 1999

Can anyone recommend a good reference that discusses how to analyze the
evolutionary relationships bewteen genes from different organisms?
Specifically, I need to get correct definitions for homologous, orthologous
and paralogous genes. I also need to know the correct way to describe a
situtation in which one organism has a single gene, but a higher organism has
multiple related genes.  Is it proper to to call the single gene the
"homologue" of the cluster of related genes? Thank you very much,

Arthur Wohlwill adwohlwi at UIC.EDU