zymography

T.D. Laing tdlaing at nospam.dres.dnd.ca
Mon Aug 9 09:14:22 EST 1999

In article <7ojnet$4pu$1 at inf6serv.rug.ac.be>, "B."
<Ben.Wielockx at rug.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me how a pro-form of a matrix metalloprotease (MMP) can be
> active during zymography. You can see the clear zone of the pro and
> activated form. Why is that?

For a zymogram, the sample is run in a non-denaturing SDS-polyacrylamide
gel with incorporated substrate.  When you wash out the SDS, the pro-form
of the MMP doesn't fold completely into its original conformation, so it
leaves the enzyme active site open and available to cleave substrate.

Hope this helps,

T.

--
T.D. Laing
tdlaing at dres.dnd.ca

Remove "nospam" from my e-mail address in the header to reply.

My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of anyone else's.  They'd probably prefer it that way.