Effect of SDS on hybridization?

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Mon Aug 9 10:22:29 EST 1999

In article <7of83f$b2s$1 at bubba.NMSU.Edu>,
  D. KIM <dkim at NMSU.Edu> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> What effect, if any, would 0.5% to 1% SDS have on DNA/RNA hybridization,
> if salt conditions and temperature are kept unchanged?
>
> I was thinking of adding SDS to the solutions for PolyA+ selections, to
> help protect the RNA from degradation.  Would this really mess things up?
>
> Daniel Kim
> dkim at nmsu.edu

There should be only a minimal effect (from the salt from the SDS).

My old protocols for poly(A)+ selection of mRNA using oligo-dT cellulose
use SDS in the buffers, BTW.

Nick

| Nick Theodorakis                              |
| nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu       |
| (previously theodorn at gusun.georgetown.edu)    |

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/