dialysis membranes

D.Schnapp D.Schnapp at qmw.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 10:30:12 EST 1999

Hi folks,

I just received some cellulose membrane dialysis tubing and it came with
instructions of lengthy preparation, including wash under running water
for several hours to remove glycerin (which would not interfere with my
stuff), treatment with sodium sulfide (which we don't have) and
acidification with sulphuric acid. Is all this really necessary? I
remember just boiling up the membranes in some water plus - I think- EDTA
(not sure whether it was EDTA or why it was added). Anybody using other
ways of preparing cellulose membranes? Sigma technical services do not
have any alternative advise.

Cheers,

Denni

Denni Schnapp
Dept. of Paediatric Gastroenterology
St. Bartholomew Hospital
Dominion House						Phone:(0)171/6018469
59 Bartholomew Close					Fax:  (0)171/6005901
London EC1A 7BE			 http://www.st-and.ac.uk/www_sa/personal/~ds4