dialysis membranes

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Aug 9 12:47:01 EST 1999

"D.Schnapp" <D.Schnapp at qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
> I just received some cellulose membrane dialysis tubing and it came with
> instructions of lengthy preparation, including wash under running water
> for several hours to remove glycerin (which would not interfere with my
> stuff), treatment with sodium sulfide (which we don't have) and
> acidification with sulphuric acid. Is all this really necessary? I
> remember just boiling up the membranes in some water plus - I think- EDTA
> (not sure whether it was EDTA or why it was added).

I was taught to boil dialysis membranes once in 500 mM EDTA and 7-8
times in water afterwards. The EDTA is supposed to remove trace
contaminations of heavy metal atoms which apparently occurred quite
frequently in cellulose membranes (not sure whether this is still
true). So far, I have not encountered any problems with dialysis
membranes prepared this way.

--Cornelius.