Peptide solubility and aa-composition

Troels Wind wind at BIOBASE.DK
Thu Aug 12 04:27:47 EST 1999

Dear netters,

I intend to order a synthetic peptide to be used in both protein-binding
assays and in cell cultures. The sequence is a mostly hydrophobic
heptamer (A, T, W, L and G residues) flanked by two cysteines that
should form a constrained loop by disulfide-bridging.

My worry is whether the hydrofobicity of the peptide will cause
solubility-problems.

Does any of you have experience with such peptides ? Do you know a 'rule
of thumb' for the correlation between aa-composition and solubility in
water or DMSO ?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Troels