Seeking advice on plate reader purchase

Donald Chun Kit Wong dcwong at unixg.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 12 12:42:24 EST 1999

We are planning to purchase a fluorescence plate reader. There seem to be
a type that uses excitation and emisssion filters, and another that are
continuously variable (in nm intervals) that don't need filters. I need to
determine which is better but have been getting conflicting information
from different sources. Especially concerning the accurracy and width of
the of the wavelengths obtainable with the continuously variable machines
versus filters. The optical exclusion properties (in band vs. out of band)
attainable leading to sensitivity implications for experiment. I would
appreciate any impartial comment or suggestion in this regard. Thank you!

Donald Wong, Ph.D.
Pathology
THe University of British Columbia